He had been banned from all casinos by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation at the request of his family, which police are looking at as a motive for his attack at the Resort World Manila casino in the early hours of Friday. The fighting has placed much of the country on edge and raised fears that the IS was gaining a foothold.
The video footage shown to reporters Saturday, though, bolsters the government's case that this was a botched robbery by a lone attacker with no known link to terrorism.
Albayalde said Carlos, a father of three, had a bank account with an outstanding debt of 4 million pesos ($81,000). He was forced to sell his Ford Ranger pickup truck to help pay for his debts. His security adviser, Hermogenes Esperon, said all the evidence pointed to an attempt to steal casino chips.
Mr. Carlos was able to walk past a metal detector at an entrance, which was staffed by a single guard, a video of the incident shows. He took his own life at a nearby hotel.
The attacked was found dead in a room in a hotel adjacent to the casino building, burned beyond recognition and with a gunshot to the head.
The 43-year-old Carlos, a former DOF tax specialist, was ordered dismissed from the service by the Office of the Ombudsman on October 25, 2012 for "grave misconduct and gross neglect of duty" for failure to declare his house and lot in Tondo, Manila in his statements of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALNs) from 2003 up to 2006. He said he didn't know where his son got the M4 assault rifle used in the attack.
Police also gave confusing or contradictory statements on other key details. "I trust the intelligence being gathered by the government and the police should be enough to deter or prevent more incidents", Barcelon said. "It's like being addicted to drugs".
"(He was) all dressed in black, burly, everything was covered, you can't even see his eyes", said Arguelles, who was about 30ft from the gunman.
As previously reported by JOL, the shooting began at around midnight (local time) when the gunman entered the Resorts World Manila casino for what appears to have been a planned robbery.
Among the dead in the Resorts World attack was the wife of a lawmaker and six foreigners, including three from Taiwan and one from South Korea, the authorities said.
The man ransacked a room and stole gaming chips, Philippine National Police Chief Ronald Dela Rosa said.
A later footage showed him removing his bonnet, with blood on his face, and lumbering through a stairwell towards the fifth floor of the hotel. Shots were exchanged and the gunman was wounded. Locked doors were shot with his high caliber gun.
The victims, who did not appear to have been shot, are thought to have died of suffocation, Southern Police District Director Superintendent Tomas Apolinario said Friday.
"He's insane, that guy is insane", President Rodrigo Duterte said yesterday in his first public comments on the attack.